Re: GG: CBC Recordings

Dear Elisha, Harold and other F minoreans

all the CBC recordings are in effect extremely interesting, but the
Goldberg one is astonishing: in fact it looks not so much a mix of the 1955
and 1981 versions, but, to my ears at least, is closer to the 1981
recording.   The general character of the performance is not "Dionysian",
as in 1955, but very "Introspective", as in 1981 (of corse, I use these
terms only in a very loose sense).  This might then be a confirmation that,
as Glenn wrote, he was "fully formed" from the beginnings of his performing
career: his interpretative ideas were probably very clear from a very yong
age, and he was experimenting with them in his different performances.

As for Howard's question, the Legacy vol. 1 set has been available in
Europe on vinyl as CBS M3X 38610 and possibly on CDs - I'm presently unable
to check if I own both versions or only the vinyl one; I'm also not sure if
the CD contained Tim Page's interview.   It might still be possible to grab
an odd copy: I'm pretty sure I saw one on the shelves of a shop here in
Milano a couple of months ago.

Best wishes