GG: CBC Recordings

Dear F minoreans,

It's been quiet in here...guess most people went to vacation.

Well, I guess I have an anecdote: My mom and I were at Best Buy looking
for computers.  Not surprisingly I ran to the classical CD section and
started disc swapping everything I saw.(;-)  In the Gould category there
were only two CDs and one of them is GG (the other was a conductor name
Morton Gould-any relations?).  However, this is different: it is a CBC
record and it is not a recording at a studio, but a performance
broadcasted live in 1954.  In it are performances of Goldberg Var. and
some Prelude and Fugues.  After some drama and tumultuous whining, I
convinced my mom to buy the CD.  Her complaint was "Why should I buy it,
when you already have both versions of Goldberg--what difference is one
more going to make?"

What was surprising is that this is the Goldberg played before his debut
recording of the same work in 1955, and the interpretation is like a mix
of his 1981 and 1955.  Although the quality makes the playing sound raw,
but this is-I believe- the ultimate progression to GG's stardom.  Another
surprising fact is I never saw a CBC recording in the US until yesterday.
 Is CBC making a volume of GG's own broadcasts- kind of like Sony's own
volume of GG's recordings?  If so, let me know, because I would like to
have a small CBC recording library as well.

Regards, Elisha

Strong conviction is capable of destroying any prejudice.  The proof:
Glenn Gould.
--Nathan Perelman

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]