RE: [F_minor]http://archives.radio-canada.ca/arts_culture/musique/dossiers/309/

I might be showing my age but this sort of stuff was being studied in
depth way back in the 1960's in the USA.  Brain wave functions were put
under the microscope and have been studied ever since.  In short here
are some more points to consider:

Mantras and all externally voiced chants are vibratory in nature but
cause a feedback loop to the individual chanter.   The energies not only
vibrate your brain case but also alter the chemistry of the brain and
blood.  As well there are measurable changes to wave forms as the
individual [possibly] enters higher states of consciousness.  Groups who
chant together have of course a bigger power behind them and the overall
effect is likewise amplified.

When a person sings a tune deeply, they not only open their heart
energies, they also do something to their minds and overall
consciousness.   It is impossible to have no effect on the nervous
system when you make a noise of some sort.  The quality of the sound has
a direct impact on your body.  Remember: quality of sound and not just
volume.  There is a very real reason that listening to a group of men
quietly chant a Gregorian chant has a calming influence.  It is not by
accident, but rather by the very nature of vibrations that effect our
minds and bodies.

Check out on the internet the very odd work of an American scientist who
has done decades of work up at the University of Sudbury on the effect
of EM radiation on brain waves.

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/jul/extreme-states/article_view?b_start
:int=2&-C=

Look on that page for Michael Persinger.  His work is very strange and
controversial.  He can make your brain "think" it is seeing ET standing
right beside you.  Did I say it was odd research?

Check out the work of the late Dr. John Lilly
http://www.johnclilly.com/

he did trailblazing first research into the brains of dolphins.  They
have a larger brain than our own and have a very advanced communication
ability that we know next to nothing about.

There is much more to relate on this topic but I'll stop for now.  In
summary: the physics of music might be able to account for the physical
impacts on the body.  However, the truly spiritual part is that we react
in a holistic way.  The intrinsic essence of vibration was what
Pythagoras was all about.

Fred Houpt