Re: [F_minor]http://archives.radio-canada.ca/arts_culture/musique/dossiers/309/

Psychobiography, and in particular psychobiography-by-diagnosis, really gets
on my nerves. Diagnosis is a useful tool in the practice of
psychology/psychiatry, certainly -- it allows one to create a simplified
model of a person (or an aspect of the person anyway) and thereby help them
more effectively. But as a biographical tool? What use is simplification in
trying to create a picture of a life? I haven't yet (and admittedly I am
still young...) managed to create anything resembling a neat, consistent,
coherent concept of myself, my own beliefs, and my own priorities -- to
think I could do this for someone else seems the height of arrogance. And
these psychobiographical diagnoses are often given with such a tone of
authority, too...as though to say "this is how you should understand this
person, end of discussion."

I find this especially problematic with post-mortem psychobiography, since
the person in question is no longer able to challenge the propositions made
about them. Any competent psychiatrist should see the problem with this
approach, as a diagnostic session always involves interaction with the
patient himself, a process that often leads to considerable insight.

(I expect a forthcoming detailed rebuttal of this argument from S.F. Lemming
;>)

Etha