Re: [F_MINOR] Stokowski portrait

Stokowski portrait--

From what I can find the pieces GG used and my guesses of where are:

Schoenberg- Transfigured Night [Track 3?  Beginning of 12?]
Beethoven's 5th [Tracks 3 and 4]
Brahms Serenade #1 [Track 10?]
Charles Ives Symphony #4 [Track 6]
Shostakovitch' Symphony #11 [Track 5 with folk music, etc]
Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini [Track 9?]
Holt's The Planets [Track 13 but is it also in 2?]
Scriabin's The Poem of Ecstasy [Track 2?]

Mixed on track 10?
The Rienzi Overture and
Parsifal's Good Friday Spell

I'm blocking out a transcript and the music is just as, if not more
important as the language.  I'm curious as to what sections of these
pieces he used and why.
Any answers about the music used and any guesses about why are much
welcomed.

BTW-- It's interesting what is credited and what isn't.  The mix on
track 5 is great but from what I recall (I'm working off notes and an
I-pod here) most (all?) of those recordings are not credited.

Thanks,
Mary Jo

Brad Lehman wrote:
I'm currently working with GG's radio show about Stokowski.  Anyone
heard it?  Can anyone tell me what music goes with what passages and
why?  I've gotten most of them narrowed down but not all.  He clearly
edited with a purpose.  Music meant something to him in a way it doesn't
for most people- it seems like it was language.

Coincidentally, I listened to it again last week after not for about 5 years. Which passages are you lacking on music ID?

Bradley Lehman

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn