[F_MINOR] Goldbergs DVD

I watched this for the first time last week.  It's interesting to see
the two pianos-- I wonder if one reason that Gould removed the fallboard
was to make the pianos relatively anonymous for filming-- or was this
something he did regularly?

There were a few audible differences from the CD, including
ornamentation, which I expected to hear anyway (I think Gould did say at
one point that the audio recording was more extensively edited, because
one isn't listening as carefully while watching video).

The final aria begins with a few creaks (his chair?) that are not on the
CD.  What got my attention, though, was the apparent difference in sound
quality between the final aria, and all that came before.  It sounds as
though the audio for the aria, which is hissy,  was flown in from a
totally different source-- perhaps it came from the film itself, and the
rest of the piece was reconstructed from the audio session tapes,
synched up to the video?

(I did notice that variation 15 ends with the same extraneous noise as
the recording...it sounds as though the microphones were picking up a
radio station during the last several seconds; what I'm hearing sounds
like a string orchestra.)

Or am I just crazy? (No need to answer that.)

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn