Re: [F_MINOR] Stokowski portrait

At 05:05 PM 10/8/2005, Mary Jo Watts wrote:
Stokowski portrait--

From what I can find the pieces GG used and my guesses of where are:

I've re-listened to the first half but I don't have reliable track info in my copy.

Schoenberg- Transfigured Night [Track 3? Beginning of 12?]

Goes all the way straight through from the beginning of the portrait, until we hit the outtake warmups for the Gould sessions of Beethoven's "Emperor". (No Holst planets in here.) See also GG's notes about this in "Stokowski in Six Scenes".

Beethoven's 5th [Tracks 3 and 4]

5th *piano concerto* (Emperor), not symphony. Excerpts from several places in the piece, as Stoky and Gould are recording inserts.

Brahms Serenade #1 [Track 10?]

The segue out of the Beethoven concerto is into this...while Stoky mentions "Mozart"!

Charles Ives Symphony #4 [Track 6]

Yes.

More later as I have time for another listening session, probably on
the weekend.

Also, in "Radio as Music" at p386 in the _Reader_, GG described the
way he took Stoky's old 78 version of the "Good Friday Spell" and
cleverly morphed it into the stereo remake, where he has Stoky
talking about advances in recording technology.  That essay will help
with your transcription of the montage.

Bradley Lehman

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn