Re: [F_MINOR] Gould's heros

Lainaus "Cline, Eric" <Eric.Cline@REICHHOLD.COM>:

> I definitely hear Artur Schnabel in GG's Beethoven performances. I
> didn't
> realized how much so until I got the Schnabel recording of the 32
> Beethoven
> sonatas. I would like to hear Schnabel play Bach sometime. I wonder if
> he
> ever recorded JSB.... anyone know the answer?
>
> Eric Cline
> Reichhold
> Sr. R & D Synthesis Chemist
> P.O. Box 13582
> Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
> USA
> Office Phone:  +1 919 990 8116
> Fax:               +1 919 767 8506
> E-mail:           eric.cline@reichhold.com

Try googling with, say, "arthur schnabel plays bach" and you'll get such
results as the following:

http://www.musicabona.com/catalog/DHR7740.html.en

http://www.doremi.com/Schnabel.html

http://www.mainlyopera.com/title.html?catno=URN+22119

Somewhat surprisingly, the invaluable J. S. Bach Home Page --
http://www.jsbach.org/ -- returned now reviews of Schnabel playing Bach.

Here's a snippet of a review:

"Landowska's championship of the harpsichord in those far-off days was
remarkable in itself. But it was sometimes at odds with her Romantic
concept of Bach's music. No such problem afflicts Artur Schnabel's Bach
playing on a modern piano. He and Landowska include the Chromatic Fantasia
and Fugue and the Italian Concerto in their recitals from which fascinating
comparisons may be drawn. Schnabel is altogether lighter than Landowska in
his approach and more playful in his understanding of the music. For
Schnabel these are unequivocably piano pieces and, hearing him play them, I
felt in no way compromised by the knowledge of performing styles which we
have acquired in decades subsequent to these tenderly expressive
utterances. Schnabel is joined by his son Karl Ulrich for the C major
Concerto for two keyboards, with the LSO under Boult. This is a lively
affair, beautifully phrased, pulsating with energy, and lightly
articulated. We may know more about Bach performance, nowadays, but we
certainly do not always use that knowledge to as good an effect as that
demonstrated by these intuitive and naturally expressive interpretations."

And here's the entire review:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/gramofilereview.asp?reviewID=3029

which I found using another invaluable URL, http://www.classicaldigest.com/

Anssi Korhonen

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn