Re: Buena Vista Social Club, Si!

> I love everything of Wenders. Have you seen Dennis Hopper in "The American Friend" ("Der amerikanische > Freund" -- ???)? What a great, thrilling, interesting movie!

Oh, what lust for pictures! Wenders is a poet in visualisation. I can dive into these pictures (we call it "sich satt sehen"), their width, their truth. And together with Kubrick he is the man to reconcile music and image.

My favorite is Paris, Texas. Think of Cooder's 12 string motive and Travis walking through the desert. Cut - the view from their house into the valley with a landing aircraft in the dark and those coloured city lights. Or the end of the movie: of course that is the utmost AMERICAN ROMANTICSM since it is THE american topic, the true american WESTERN: Travis (the cowboy) abandons in favour of his dearest, and lonly rides (on his horse) into the setting sun. And still a total ironic quotation in the last picture in form of an advertisement plate saying "Together we can make it happen".

And then the other great american topic - the roadmovie, which of course is a Western in a nowadays array, people in permanent cruising on their personal quest. And all these quest-quotations, in State of things for instances occurs on a computer screen a running list, that stands still for a while and you read: John Ford - The Searchers. He did a biographic film about a japonese director, which I saw in the cologne japanese institute, that was extremely thrilling. For the matter of portraying there is BTW another extremely talented director, and that is Peter Schamoni, who did a biographic film on Niki De St. Phalle, the female feminist artist who does the big coloured Nanas. One of the most fascinating portraits I have ever seen. Again I watched the film bent over, just like the last hour of Hitchcock's Notorious.

The American Friend deals of course with post war german array, but it is too long that I 've seen it to recall something to intelligently talk about, besides that even the Patricia Highsmith story is just so gorgious as well as the images of Hamburg. Have you seen One Million Dollar Hotel, playing in L.A.? I didn't know it can be cold in L.A. - How can Wenders manage to show coldness? The anxiety of the goalie BTW was the title of the novel of austrian author Peter Handke, upon which Wenders built his movie. There are always critics that blame Wenders for the lenght of his movies. As if any work of art should be limited in duration for the Joe Average's attention limit! How stupid. A quite good link is http://castle.uvic.ca/german/439/wenders.html

Jost