Hildesheimer views Mozart

We crossed Hildesheimer's book on Mozart the other day. I'd like to give you a more precise idea what we are talking about:

By and large Hildersheimers topic is the absurdity of human condition in an almost surrealistic array, often satirically . His angle is deeply humanist. His imperative feel for the "Pointe", as well as his imaginative narrative ductus reflect old-testament education and may have to do with his being Jewish. If memory serves well one of his two biographies, Masante, was fictionally, the other, Tynset, after a real person. "Mozart" was written from the 50ies until 1977. In the liner notes to the german edition you read (translated):

"Hildesheimer's Mozart is not the book of a musicologist, it is no biography, in whatever sense, it is the book of an author and artist who is to some extent closer to the artistc creative process and who, psychoanalytically trained, tries to track down the creative processes, but doesn't fail in the sense that he applies is own soul as the benchmark for his hero".

To give you a glimpse of his approach I tried to translate a key passage of the preface:

"...Last but not least does the mental and psychic constitution of an author become manifest in the fictions behind the protagonists. But the degree of his objectivity is not criterium of its quality; who isn't aware that frequently especially the neurosis adds that monomane, often monumental subjectivity, which defines the unique value of a work. In the biography however this degree must be the decisive criterium. Because the reader wants the transmission, not the transmitter. But even here he will constantly be informed about the object from the subjective angle of the reporter, albeit he is free to accept or deny this latter...

...therefore the task was to extinguish existing images, but not to mediate between reader and hero. The objective of this essay, contrarily, is to enlarge the distance between the both sides. Distance, not only understood as the gap between the ages, which makes the true understanding of all of those persons and souls in the aera of the late absolutism a speculation, but also as that unreachable distance between the inner world of Mozart and our unsufficient concept of its nature and dimensions..."

Below you find the entry for the english traduction by Marion Faber of 1983 in the Library of Congress. Actually the English version seems to be out of print - at least at Amazon - which is a shame, since, trust me, the book is high literature. Anyway, some good libraries may have survived the compassionate globalisation, and you might be able to find it at these loci amoeni.

Jost

Mozart / Wolfgang Hildesheimer ; translated from the German by Marion Faber.

LC Control Number: 83005747
Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Brief Description: Hildesheimer, Wolfgang, 1916-
Mozart / Wolfgang Hildesheimer ; translated from the German by Marion Faber.
1st Vintage Books ed.
Mozart. English
New York : Vintage Books, 1983.
408 p., [20] p. of plates : ill. ; 21 cm.