Re: ABSURD!

----- I've never seen the film "Toronto" but in the valuable and out of
print book "Glenn Gould by himself and others" there's what must be most of
the narration to the movie.  The Buddhist-like quote that Kate mentioned is
actually the last words of the text, so if Anne didn't get to see the ending
of the film, she probably didn't hear these words spoken.

And as a quick note on the Hildesheimer biography, I encourage all of you to
take a look at it.  I just tracked down a copy at my library and it's a very
unusual read, certainly unlike any bio I've come across.  Jost does a better
job at describing it than I can so I won't go into it, but let me add one
thing, in some ways this book is much more analytical and abstract than most
bios I've seen (these from reading only about 30 pages of it)

At first glance I'd agree with Jost and say this is a "bio" worthy of being
called art.

Another great bio-kind of book is Nicholson Baker's U & I, about his
obsession with the writer (and my favorite) John Updike.

Bye

Jim

and this is for the winking Alice,

here's me trying to spell Bruno M's last name from memory
Monsaingeon

did I get it right?

so let's see, how many good to great outofprint books can we mention in a
couple of days

Almost No Memory
Mozart
Glenn Gould by himself and others.