Re: Almost No Memory

> There was talk earlier of "The Loser" by Bernhard, and I've just come
across
> another literary reference to GG which is also interesting:  A short story
> in a book called "Almost No Memory" by Lydia Davis.  The story is called
> simply "Glenn Gould" and is about a woman who finds reassurance in the
fact
> that GG liked "the Mary Tyler Moore Show", she likes it and feels sort of
> foolish for watching it until she finds out that her childhood influence
> also liked it.  It's an interesting story, I recommend it!
>
> Alice

Hi Alice,

I remember liking it when I came across that story a few years ago in a
bookstore when I was buying a different collection of hers called "Break it
down" though I can't remember much of the details of "Glenn Gould."  I'll
try to find it again.

Lydia Davis, like Bernhard, often writes about obsessives.  Unlike Bernhard,
I feel more warmth and less sarcasm from her, and more confusion and pain.
Also, her obsessives seem to exist more in a community and a relationship
than Bernhard's lone narrators do.

A little literary trivia and then I'll finish off this email.

Davis was once married to the more famous writer Paul Auster (another writer
of obsessives!!) and I hear that her stories of break up and divorce and
based upon their relationship.  But I don't know for sure.  I'm just passing
along some gossip.

Bye

Jim

(what is it with Gould and obsessives who sometimes obsessively use the word
"obessives"?)