Buena Vista Social Club, Si!

Yes! I saw "The Buena Vista Social Club"! And even better -- in January I will go to the University of Massachusetts at Amherst to see a LIVE PERFORMANCE of The Buena Vista Social Club!

Please do not report me to The United States Anti-Communist Bureau, but I have difficulty understanding why the USA boycott of Cuba forbids sending/selling them medical supplies, but lets their music and musicians travel back and forth. Also I'm envious of the Canadians on this list who can holiday in Cuba whenever they like. (Americans are still forbidden from travelling to Cuba as just tourists.) Diplomatic rationality like that should be punished.

Also I have difficulty understanding why our USA politicians are still demanding Victory over Castro. Uhh ... isn't it obvious yet? He Won! He's been running the place for 40 years! The next step is not his overthrow, but the Old Folks Home!

I'm a former journalist and have deep interests in human rights, and so it depresses the crap out of me that Castro's Cuba has no free press and such an abysmal record of human rights. Castro is correct that the USA/CIA and their Miami exile pals are perpetually scheming all sorts of mischief against his regime. But I don't think he trusts his own people and their own love for the Revolution. (I'm old enough to remember what was there before ... Batista! Castro should have more faith in his people and their memories of Batista.)

I love everything of Wenders. Have you seen Dennis Hopper in "The American Friend" ("Diese Amerikanisher Freunde" <-- ???)? What a great, thrilling, interesting movie!

Bob

Jost writes:
And thus you're damned right about dignity, nothing to add, besides the question if you watched
Wim Wender's Buena Vista Soacial Club, the music of which is secondary, an exemple, but its
primary message is to ask about dignity of our western capitalist culture by putting the picture of a
totally ran down and empovered society, which has at least kept its dignity, aside. No hymn to
poverty or such a crap, not at all, but a question of what we seem so sure of about ourselves.

Bob=subtle!

Jost