Fw: OT Auster (was: got the coffee! not harumphing at )

Hey, Jost, want to know a secret about using F minor?

Unlike most email list groups, hitting reply doesn't send your
message to the list, but only to the person who wrote the message.
You have to hit "reply to all" or some such function on your email
program in order to get it sent to the entire list.

It's a mistake I know I've made a lot.

And now on to Jost's post, that went only to me.

Though the topic seemed settled by and large, I have to return to the issue. I've confessed my fascination about Paul Auster to Jim offlist, which is based first of all on Music Of Chance and further more on the New York Trilogy.

Why the need to go onlist with that topic? Since the bio to be found on Jim's link opened all of a sudden a row of windows to the art of Auster for me. I had no specific biographic info about him, but now his way of writing and looking at things seems totally inevitable. Which not only speaks in favor of Auster, but also in favor of the biography which took events not for the sake of them but as an explanatory substrate to Auster's work. Sometimes it makes a difference saying "he dislikes beer, but smokes" or "He dislikes beer. His father was addict".
Jost

Jim here again.  I agree the BVSC is a great documentary on how music making and life intertwine.
I've never seen the American Friend, but with Dennis Hopper starring in it, I'm amazed it isn't called the American Fiend.

And for a little GG information in this email.  I just received word that the Glenn Gould Live in Stockholm, 1958, is on its way to me from amazon.  It contains Mozart concerto 24, beethoven concerto 2, Haydn Sonata 49, beethoven sonata 31 and berg's sonata opus 1.
I'm looking forward to hearing how he handles these works live.  I here the beethoven is remarkable different from the studio version.

bye

Jim