GG: Tureck/Rosen release

>There's a new release from Sony Essential Classics which might be of
>interest to GG fans....  "Bach: The Keyboard Album," SB2K 63231 (two
>discs, ~$15 US).  All or most of its material (the Rosen for sure, and
>perhaps also the Tureck) has not been on CD before, to my knowledge.
>
>first disc: GG reported in print several times that he especially admired
>Rosalyn Tureck's Bach playing.  Here are her 1979 recording of the Italian
>Concerto, and 1981 recordings of the Italian Aria+10 Variations and
>numerous smaller pieces.  Listening to this right now, and remembering
>some of her other recordings, I vote her the "Most Likely To Be Mistaken
>For Glenn Gould" in her general approach, articulation, clarity, and
>sound, more than any other pianist I've heard.  No humming though.

As much as I admire the purity and precision of Glenn Gould's piano work, I
would venture to say rather, that the young Glenn Gould would be a
candidate for the "Most Likely To Be Mistaken For Rosalyn Tureck"!  This
opinion is based upon listening to her Bach Recital, recorded in 1948.  For
this programme, she includes three Preludes & Fugues from the WTC.  She
does have a clear, distinct, well-articulated performing style ... and
although I don't recall the particular reference, I remember hearing that
Gould was influenced by her Bach interpretations way back when, while he
was forming his own.

For those who are interested, Rosalyn Tureck's CD is called The Young
Visionary: Bach Recital (New York, 1948).

It contains
Six Preludes (BWV 933-938)
English Suite No. 3 in G minor (BWV 808)
Three Preludes & Fugues from the WTC (BWV 855, 880, 849)
Sonata in D minor (BWV 964)

The recording is on the VAI Audio label, catalogue number VAIA 1085.  If
your local record outlet doesn't carry it, you can call VAI for a free
catalogue: (201) 944-0099.

	k a t h e r i n e   l e e    m u l t i m e d i a    p r o d u c e r

   	 DNA Productions Inc.   Tel: (604) 730-0306, ext. 103
      230-1737 West 3rd Avenue    Fax: (604) 732-7331
	          Vancouver, BC    Email: klee@dna.bc.ca
	        V6J 1K7 Canada    http://www.dna.bc.ca