GG: Tureck/Rosen release

There's a new release from Sony Essential Classics which might be of
interest to GG fans....  "Bach: The Keyboard Album," SB2K 63231 (two
discs, ~$15 US).  All or most of its material (the Rosen for sure, and
perhaps also the Tureck) has not been on CD before, to my knowledge.

first disc: GG reported in print several times that he especially admired
Rosalyn Tureck's Bach playing.  Here are her 1979 recording of the Italian
Concerto, and 1981 recordings of the Italian Aria+10 Variations and
numerous smaller pieces.  Listening to this right now, and remembering
some of her other recordings, I vote her the "Most Likely To Be Mistaken
For Glenn Gould" in her general approach, articulation, clarity, and
sound, more than any other pianist I've heard.  No humming though.

second disc: Charles Rosen's performance of the "Art of Fugue," the same
one I reviewed here 24-Sep-97 listening to the LP set.  A very fine
Apollonian approach to the piece, one of my favorites (and I think it's
more effective than GG's).  See my review at
http://www.tug.org/mail-archives/f_minor/msg02644.html in Ken Berry's new
Web archive of f_minor.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/