Re: GG: Re: Schoenberg, atonalism

David Daniel wrote:

> I think Schoenberg is a great composer and has a permanant place in music
> history, as well as in concert halls and record stores.  His music is not only
> brilliant in its forms and condensed motives, but also in its sound.
> Schoenberg was one of the only "modern" composers to still believe that (to
> quote Schoenberg) "In music, the mind must be guided by the heart."  I think
> GG honored him for this reason rather than choosing him for being out of the
> main stream.

I _personally_ like Schoenberg's music (although i strongly suspect that he will
eventually be considered more important historically than musically); but your
comment about him being the only composer to write modernistic music _guided by
the heart_ is just plain wrong. No matter how academic the final results, i've
never heard (or of) a composer who didn't place his/her heart firmly on the
sleeve when faced with the accusation of being dry & intellectual.

(Even Babbitt)

--

All the best,

Robert Clements <clemensr@mailhost.world.net>