GG: Re: Schoenberg, atonalism

Hello to all,

I think Schoenberg is a great composer and has a permenant place in music
history, as well as in concert halls and record stores.  His music is not only
brilliant in its forms and condensed motives, but also in its sound.
Schoenberg was one of the only "modern" composers to still believe that (to
quote Schoenberg) "In music, the mind must be guided by the heart."  I think
GG honored him for this reason rather than choosing him for being out of the
main stream.

To Kristen:  I think you have an interesting theory that GG felt he could
interpret Schoenberg more freely, but I don't think this is the case.  Glenn
follows Schoenberg's scores more closely than any other composer he played.
Every forte, stacatto, accelerando that Schoenberg wrote is followed in
perfect detail.  If anything, I hear *less* Gould here and more Schoenberg!

David