Hello, Ostwald, etc.

Hello everyone!

   I have just recently joined the list, and have refrained from
speaking until I had some feel for the tone of conversation here. Now I
would like to put in my two cents worth, if I may.
   I finished Ostwald's book some weeks ago, and while always interested
in anything Glenn, I was disappointed. I grow tired of the patronizing
criticism of the pianist. The earlier books were a little more
circumspect in that criticism; today's atmosphere not only allows
"brutal honesty", but applauds it. I can open this book to any page at
random and find examples - on page 156, the use of quotes, as in "colds"
and "sinus pain", as if these symptoms were surely in Glenn's
imagination - how condescending!
   I might be tempted to level the same complaint (of unsympathetic
criticism) against Mr. Lehman had he not been the instrument in pointing
me toward a source of the missing tapes in my Glenn Gould Collection
collection. I really came to this list to join other like-minded
admirers of Mr. Gould, and hope I have found them.
   Before I lose my audience, I would like to ask if anyone is familiar
with playwright David Young's "Glenn: The Unheard Music"? I would
appreciate any opinions or comments on this work.

David