Re: Hello, Ostwald, etc.

At 2:14 PM -0500 9/11/97, David B. Libby wrote:
>Hello everyone!

Welcome, David!

>   I finished Ostwald's book some weeks ago, and while always interested
>in anything Glenn, I was disappointed. I grow tired of the patronizing
>criticism of the pianist. The earlier books were a little more
>circumspect in that criticism; today's atmosphere not only allows
>"brutal honesty", but applauds it. I can open this book to any page at
>random and find examples - on page 156, the use of quotes, as in "colds"
>and "sinus pain", as if these symptoms were surely in Glenn's
>imagination - how condescending!

    I'm not too sure how to interpret your disappointment, the last word I
would use in describing Ostwald's book is "patronizing," because I know how
deeply Peter and Lise cared for Glenn. They may have felt sorry for him at
times, but I don't at all think it stemmed from superiority. I try to
imagine how it felt for Glenn's friends to witness behaviour that was so
inexplicable; it must have left them feeling helpless, and in GG's later
years it probably seemed tragic.
    Patronization issues aside, you raise a few interesting ideas. Although
I adore GG's work - both musical and otherwise - I find that healthy doses
of criticism from authors and musicologists can be essential in helping me
to crystallize exactly how and why I feel what I feel in reaction to
Glenn's work. I am grateful for honest perspectives in discussions of
Glenn, provided that I respect the qualifications of those who offer the
input. We all make subjective decisions on whom we will believe, and I
personally think Ostwald was a very qualified author who handled the more
delicate subjects with tact and compassion. I don't like to hear scattergun
rants on the oddity of Gould's behaviour or the irrationality of his work,
but if someone has a calm and evidential point to make then I am ready and
willing to hear it.
    It's difficult to talk about GG's personal life - eg: his illnesses,
his eccentric mannerisms - with any sort of expertise, because so little
tangible data exists. Most of GG's medical records from his doctors
document no specific illnesses (high blood pressure excepted,) and his
autopsy showed no physical anomalies. Hypochondria and mental affliction
become very easy explanations for his obsessive concern. I don't think the
topic of Glenn's health would be as hot as it is had he himself not been at
times so public about it, and had he not made it such an inextricable part
of his musical production. It was strange, as if Glenn wanted us to know
*something* was happening, but not what that something was. It's a
veritable launch pad for speculation among critics, physicians,
psychiatrists and even his own friends. I'll agree that it can get ugly at
times, but if there's any small kernel of information that you read in any
one of the accounts that helps you as an individual to come to some
satisfying realization about Glenn's life or work, then I think it has been
worthwhile. (I will always argue that some things are better left unsaid
and that even speculation must observe boundaries of common good taste,
especially when the subject of scrutiny is no longer living. In this case,
however, I think Ostwald exercised restraint throughout.)
     Generally, I would say that each of the Glenn Bios out there is fair.
(With the possible exception of one... which was just a tad too bitter to
be taken entirely seriously.) A few of the books are too sugary for my
taste, one of them is overly brusque, one of them seems ghostwritten, but
taken as a whole they do their job. They give me insight into the life of
an unusual legend.

>   I might be tempted to level the same complaint (of unsympathetic
>criticism) against Mr. Lehman had he not been the instrument in pointing
>me toward a source of the missing tapes in my Glenn Gould Collection
>collection. I really came to this list to join other like-minded
>admirers of Mr. Gould, and hope I have found them.

    Me, I found Bradley's analysis of the recordings to be fascinating. I
think one of the reasons Bradley's criticisms are so easy on the eyes is
that no matter how strongly he disagrees with an opinion, he doesn't
invalidate it. This enduring respect for the opinions of others is what
makes f_minor work; it fosters an environment where people are free to
speak their minds without fear of reprisal. (Which is more than I can say
for the classical music newsgroups. ;-)

>   Before I lose my audience, I would like to ask if anyone is familiar
>with playwright David Young's "Glenn: The Unheard Music"? I would
>appreciate any opinions or comments on this work.

Lose your audience!? Just for being feisty? Oh hush. :-)
    I have two different versions of David Young's play _Glenn_, but
neither includes the subtitle you mention. Is yours perhaps an abridged
version or a shorter work? I found _Glenn_ to be a highly moving portrait,
its fictional format notwithstanding. Many of the images stay with me in
haunting intensity, and I'm currently trying to get a production of the
play staged here in Atlanta. I'm amazed at the clarity with which Mr. Young
is able to describe Glenn's mental landscape; the motivations behind the
actions, the depth of the emotion that pervades throughout Glenn's life. I
suggested that The Uncommon Reader bring this book back into print as a
companion piece to Conversations With Glenn Gould, but their response was a
bit noncommittal as the reprint quota for the next two years had already
been filled.
    I enjoyed your post David, I hope you don't find us to be too
curmudgeonly of a bunch, we do say some harsh things about that Glenn
character every once in a while...

Apologies for a very wordy post,
Kristen

"There must be room for mess, for vulgarity. Sometimes, we have to touch
people."

                                  -- Bruce Charlton, writing as Glenn Gould