From: Etha Williams [mailto:diftorhehsmusma@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:34 PM
To: Houpt, Fred
Cc: Brad Lehman; f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: [F_minor] Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Houpt, Fred <fred.houpt@rbc.com>
wrote:

	I think that in order to (perhaps) move on from more discussion
(opened
	up by me) on the Moonlight, let us then close ranks and agree
that speed
	of playing is, at the end of the day, an esthetic.  It moves
some, it
	aggravates others.  We can't really derive an absolute here.  I
mean,
	sure GG's performance of Brahms Piano Concerto ranks as one of
the most
	perverse speeds ever attempted (in public) and critics were open
mouthed
	with horror/confusion, GG made his point, Leonard Bernstein made
his
	historic announcement to disassociate himself from his friends
	performance and we all moved on.  That Brahms is very odd to
listen to
	but we all survived.

Do you know where a recording of this performance (video or audio) can
be found? I am immensely curious, but have as yet only found a recording
of Bernstein's pre-concert remarks.

Etha

--

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.