Re: [F_minor] Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Reinhold, Christiane <
christiane.reinhold@bearingpoint.com> wrote:

> Agreed (marching to the beat of ones own drum when it comes to musical
> interpretations), but somewhere I read that in fact Glenn believed the
> Moonlight Sonata to be one of Beethoven's strongest Sonatas; compared to,
> say the Appassionata and assorted other B. Sonatas, he was in fact quite
> fond of it; that says something as he otherwise had a somewhat dysfunctional
> relationship with Beethoven.

He said this in his liner notes from the Pathétique/Moonlight/Apassionata
album:

Of Beethoven's thirty-two piano sonatas, it is fair to say that, at most, a
half-dozen have achieved that special public favor that is afforded by
instant recognition. These, without exception, are the tagged sonatas -- the
*Pathétique, *the "Moonlight," the "Appassionata," and, less fervently
acclaimed, the "Pastoral," the "Waldstein," and *Les Adieux*. Yet, with the
exception of the "Moonlight" (a daring experiment in organizational balance)
and of "Les Adieux" (perhaps the most resourceful of those studies in
motivic compression that effected the transition to his later style), none
of these celebrated sonatas provided landmarks in Beethoven's creative
evolution, and two of the three contained in this album, the*
Pathétique*and the "Appassionata," are more notable for the way in
which they exemplify
the attitudes held by Beethoven at the time of their composition than for
the espousal of any particularly adventurous architectural ideas.

By comparison [to the *Pathétique*], the Sonata Op. 27, No. 2 (the so-called
"Moonlight Sonata), although comprising three superficially disparate
movements, is a masterpiece of intuitive organization. As opposed to the *
Pathétique*, which recedes emotionally from the belligerence of its opening
Allegro to the more modest claims of its concluding Rondo, the "Moonlight"
Sonata escalates from first note to last. Beginning with the diffident charm
of what is unquestionably Beethoven's best-loved and most abused melody, the
ternary grace of the opening Adagio resolves into the tantalizingly
ambivalent whiff of D-flat major that constitutes the second movement. This
fragile and autumnal Allegretto, in turn, disappears within the flash flood
that is the concluding Presto. Indeed, the Presto movement of this work
seems to crystallize the sentiments of the other two and confirm an
emotional relationship at once flexible and assured. Written in the form of
a sonata-allegro, such as Beethoven would normally emply as a first
movement, it is one of the most imaginatively structured and temperamentally
versatile of all his finales. But because of its cumulative zeal, the
"Moonlight" Sonata is deservedly high on the all-time eighteenth-century hit
parade.

-Etha