Re: [F_minor] Here After?

Hi Stephanie,

I replied to someone about Hereafter a while back.....here's what I wrote:

"I got this DVD at the end of August, more or less as soon as it came out in the UK, and have now watched it several times. I very much like the way it is done with lots of new bits of previously unseen film of Glenn Gould. Interwoven with this there were some bits of acting to portray events in Glenn's life...like the fishing episode, and an actor sounding like Glenn reading words from his writings. I thought they were all well woven together....apart from some technical errors in voice/image being out of sync in parts. I liked the interviews and comments from several 'fans' of his, ordinary fans, not famous people, which gave the film a more personal perspective. I liked the way they talked about how Glenn Gould influenced their lives which is something that I'm sure many of us can relate to. The fact that Glenn wanted people to be able to listen to his playing in the privacy of their own homes means his music has become very personal to many of us in a way unlike other performers, so the film uses some of this perspective well I thought, without taking us too far away from the subject !"

Other films about Glenn Gould that I like very much are 'Life and Times', 'Extasis' 'The Alchemist' and 'Russian Journey'. I thought 'On and Off the Record' the most poor of the films about him. '32 Short Films' I personally liked.

I doubt Gould would ever have worn a t-shirt ! He liked to dress warmly, even when the weather was hot.

If you like the 'goofy' Gould then the 'Silver Jubilee' CD has two of his radio programmes which are soooo funny: 'A Glenn Gould Fantasy' and 'Critics Call-Out Corner'....he could be a very funny man indeed.

Anne