Re: review of Gould's Brahms

I've never seen that story, nor have i heard of Lydia Davis---but has anyone read Thomas Bernhard's The Loser.  It's a novel of 3 protagonists, one being Glenn.  He's portrayed so falsely, though.  It's odd.  It says that once, while practicing in Hamburg in a cottage, a tree hanging outside a window was bothering him.  Rather than closing the curtains on the window, he went outside and spent all afternoon chopping down the tree.  Somehow, that seems very unGouldly.

Last Halloween, when I meandered onto my high school campus dressed as Glenn (and I must say I did a very good job----I even nailed the subtle Canadian accent), everyone thought I was homeless (i went for the recording studio look, w/ mussed-up button down shirt, and undid tie).  It was a disgrace.  Not one person knew who I was...only my friends, because I don't shut up to them about Glenn, and that's all they listen to when driving around in my car.  They insist on bringing in their "Incubus" cds, or their "Foo Fighters", "Audiovent", or any other of their bullshit that they call music.  It sickens me...I always feel guilty.  Guilty because I'm so lucky that I have good taste in music, whereas most of my peers actually enjoy listening to today's crap (no offense to anyone who likes modern, popular music)

Very well...
ML

P.S. Has anyone heard of the pianist Peter Serkin?  How is he?