Re: review of Gould's Brahms

Hey, now you're sounding like John Cage!

Jim

Hey, no need to get insulting!

Musical minimalism is a style choice, and de gustibus non est >disputandum
(or chacon a san gout, whatever).

To me it's more like a lack of any style choice, a total repudiation of purpose in music altogether...but that's another story. Don't get me started.

But my complaint is a logical thing. Why use words to waste a half->hour reading, when you could just plunk the darn thing on the Victrola >and hear for yourself what it is ... not a description in some other >medium of what someone else thought it was?

For practical reasons. So that you don't have to actually go out and buy a recording that you later find out you hate. So that, if you're looking for a recording of a certain piece, you can read many reviews and pick the one that you think you'll like most. So that instead of just reading, as you suggested, "Listen to this" or "Don't listen to this," you can actually find out what the reviewer liked or disliked about the recording, so that even if the reviewer had different musical tastes than you, you could still get some useful information from the review. Using words to describe music puts it into terms that are as objective as possible. It's very difficult to effectively communicate "This is a good recording" to another person, without using further description. We all have our own ideas about what is a "good" and "bad" recording, and this type of subjective statement probably won't get you very far. But if you say, "I liked this recording because the artist had very good technique, but on the other hand the interpretation wasn't very creative..." and so on, you are describing what you liked about the recording in objective terms that everyone can understand. So in the above example, I don't consider technique to be very important but I place a high value on creativity, I would probably conclude that the recording wasn't very good. I would arrive at a different final judgement than you would, but I would have gained some useful information from reading your review. If you had just said, "This is a good recording, go buy it," I might have been misled into buying a recording I hate. To summarize: objective statements are better than subjective statments when it comes to most things, including musical reviews.

Cristalle

_________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail