From: ML
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: review of Gould's Brahms

I've never seen that story, nor have i heard of Lydia Davis---but has anyone read Thomas Bernhard's The Loser.  It's a novel of 3 protagonists, one being Glenn.  He's portrayed so falsely, though.  It's odd.  It says that once, while practicing in Hamburg in a cottage, a tree hanging outside a window was bothering him.  Rather than closing the curtains on the window, he went outside and spent all afternoon chopping down the tree.  Somehow, that seems very unGouldly.