GG Emotion vs Sentimentality

Glenn Gould wrote:

I apologize for responding to this when the subject is already passed. I have listened to a great many performances, both for pleasure and as a means of learning and finding my own voice on the piano. For me Gould’s performances are endowed with a great deal of emotion, sometimes it is so much it hits me with the force of a ten ton truck, and at other times it is like rain or dust.

I agree.   Many musicians seem to think that music needs to be dripping with sentimentality.   For me, Glenn Gould is right on the mark.

Anne