GG Emotion vs Sentimentality

>I apologize for responding to this when the subject is already passed. I
>have listened to a great many performances, both for pleasure and as a
>means of learning and finding my own voice on the piano. For me Gould's
>performances are endowed with a great deal of emotion, sometimes it is so
>much it hits me with the force of a ten ton truck, and at other times it
>is like rain or dust.
>
>I agree.   Many musicians seem to think that music needs to be dripping
>with sentimentality.   For me, Glenn Gould is right on the mark.

"Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their
thinking." -- The "practically perfect in every way" Mary Poppins
explaining to a bird how she can leave the Banks family without hearing a
goodbye

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl  or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot