Re: Gould hasn't recorded the BWV903 Chromatic Fugue - correction

I wrote:
> He didn't really record the fantasia, either, only whacked through it for a
> television program.  In the program he plays half of the fantasy, then
> turns to Bruno Monsaingeon and explains why he doesn't like it.  He claims
> that this is his "first and last" performance of it.

Juozas responded:

Didn't record? It's in the same CD you mentioned in your reply. At least
should
be according
http://glenn.fdnet.com.au/releasedetail.cfm?id=18
(I've heard it - he's even humming a bit in the recording and I always
thought
humming
was the indication he was moved by the piece).

I continued with the assertion:

That rendition on the CD is the two halves of that same TV performance
spliced together.  By "didn't record" I meant he didn't make a regular
studio recording of it (audio-only) but merely played it on that one TV
program.

Juozas then pointed out off-list:
>http://glenn.fdnet.com.au/worksperf.cfm?id=149 is then providing false
>information.
>It claims there was a recording on 11-Oct-79 in Toronto, Eaton's Auditorium.

Juozas, you are correct! I just listened to the CD a second time since this morning, and it is indeed a different performance. It is VERY similar, but different in a few details. It has fooled me for several years as it sounds so much like the one on the video. Plus I believed GG's own remark that the video was the "first and last performance"; evidently he was lyi...er, bending the truth.

According to that web site, the video performance was done "between
19-Nov-79 and 26-Nov-79".  I had always thought that the 11-Oct-79 date on
the CD referred to the date of the video, since it sounds like the same
performance (unless one examines it very closely).

My bad.

And that makes Gould a baldfaced liar!  (He was clean-shaven in the
video......)  :)

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA home: http://i.am/bpl or http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot