Re: Book recommendation

I completely agree with Jim  -- Bazzana's book is fascinating, elegantly
written, insightful,and it has tremendous value even if (like me) you are a
layperson (music-wise).

On the subject of GG and Pastorals -- I love his recording of the symphony
transcription. It just so happens that another of my favorite GG recordings
is of the Pastoral sonata (no. 15 -- opus 28). This is a late GG rec.  --
somewhere between '79-81.  It has a relaxed, mellow and good-humored quality
-- "GG unwound." I think it is underrated. I judge this by the fact that it
has never come up in the conversations among us GG fans == at least since I
joined this list over a year ago (except Jim M. may have  mentioned it).

Regards --

Daniel

P.S Murray Perahia's rec. of Goldbergs is my 14th, and I rate it very high
on my personal list -- up there with the GG Salzburg version, Christiane
Jaccottet, R. Hill, and Schepkin. MP's version is the most emotionally
affecting one I have heard. His playing has a beautiful singing tone, and he
articulates the contrapuntal lines clearly, but not at all heavy- handedly
[unlike our hero in some parts of the '81 rec. with the sledgehammer bass
line (please pardon the blasphemy)].Don't get me wrong -- I like that
version, but there is a fine line between being stimulatingly eccentric and
mannered, and GG sometimes crosses the line in the '81 rec.