R: Re: Book recommendation

----- Original Message -----
From: Anne M. Marble <amarble@sff.net>
To: <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: Book recommendation

> > I am sure many of you will know already, but I've come
> > across this very interesting book on Glenn Gould: It's
> > "Der Untergeher" by Thomas Bernhard, translated as "The
> > Loser" in english.
>

> >From what I understand, Bernhard used the name "Glenn Gould"
> and some of the basic facts about this life, but he changed
> much of the detail. For example, Glenn Gould never studied
> with Horowitz and never recorded Tchaikovsky <sp?>. GG
> never moved to New York State and never gave up contact
> with his family.

Sorry for my late intervention about "The Loser" by Bernhard.
I have read this book a few years  ago and I found it interesting.
In these pages,Gould emerges as symbol of Genius, his presence is strong and
fascinating and, a that time, this book gave me a first profound impression
about
"our" wonderful pianist.
 The book is an hommage a Gould, at his amazing skills and I think that we
don't worry about  life-details but we must share the admiration for him
with Bernhard.

Regards

Valeria Massari