Re: Book recommendation

> I am sure many of you will know already, but I've come
> across this very interesting book on Glenn Gould: It's
> "Der Untergeher" by Thomas Bernhard, translated as "The
> Loser" in english.

Also known as the "one-paragraph novel." ;-> That's why I
haven't tried reading it yet.

> It's an account of the thoughts and days of the author,
> Glenn Gould and Vertheimer, during their studies with
> Horowitz. The book reveals many hidden faces of GG's
> personality, as it's written by someone quite close to
> him. Bernhard's writing is quite chaotic and funny, which
> makes for a pleasant read, too. The book is available at
> amazon.com.

>From what I understand, Bernhard used the name "Glenn Gould"
and some of the basic facts about this life, but he changed
much of the detail. For example, Glenn Gould never studied
with Horowitz and never recorded Tchaikovsky <sp?>. GG
never moved to New York State and never gave up contact
with his family.

As far as I know, Bernhard and GG never actually met.

By the way, from what I've heard the crux of the novel is
about a man who gives up the piano because he realizes he
could never be as good as Glenn Gould. If all the people
who weren't as good as GG gave up the piano, the world
would be a sadly quiet place. I'd like to know what other
list members think GG would have made of this novel,
particularly the theme of people giving up on something
they supposedly enjoyed simply because they weren't as good
at it as someone else! Remember, Glenn Gould hated
competition in music. (Competition in word games such as
Twenty Questions was another thing. <wink>)

> btw, If you know of any book on GG that's out there worth
> reading, I'll be glad to know...

For a straight biography, I would recommend Otto
Friederich's book on Glenn Gould.

I had some problems with the biography by Peter Ostwald, but
it can still be of use.

For another fictional version of Glenn Gould, but one that's
much truer to life, try "The Maestro," an award-winning
children's book by Canadian author Tim Wynne-Jones. :->

Anne M. Marble
amarble@sff.net