Re: Musical Offering

Max wrote:

> I didn't clarify what I meant by gray. When I said gray, I was referring
> the Gould video "An Art of the Fugue", in which he not only calls that
fugue
> "gray", but also elaborates for several minutes on what he means (it has
> nothing to do with synesthia, nor with monotony or dullness). He talks
about
> harmony and chromaticism, and compares the harmony of that unfinished
fugue
> ("an infinitely expanding universe") to the harmony of two other fugues
> ("clear cut modulations").

You know, after I sent that email, I thought I sounded like I didn't
understand where your reference was coming from and was misinterpreting what
you wrote.

.  A few months ago I made
post that quoted Schweitzer's comment that Gould is quoting in that video
you mention.  You may not have been around for that.  Oddly, Schweitzer
seems not to be talking about any particular fugue, but about the subject of
the KdF.  Gould makes it sound like Schweitzer was talking about the last
fugue, but he wasn't.  As I just said, it was the subject.

Nothing like email to cause confusion and misunderstanding.

Personally I think he and Schweitzer are misrepresenting the subject and the
fugues and any great performance of the piece will make the description
"gray" seem very inappropriate.  In the wrong hands though, I can see where
that comment can come from .

Here's the quote from Schweitzer

I found the quote on pages 426-27 of his book J. S. Bach Volume One.

"The theme cannot strictly be called interesting; it is not a stroke of
genius, but has plainly been made with an eye to its manifold "workableness"
and capacity for inversion.  Nevertheless it grows upon us after repeated
hearings.  It introduces us to a still and serious world, deserted and
rigid, without colour, without light, without motion; it does not gladden,
does not distract; yet we cannot break away from it."

As you can see, the description is a bit derogatory and not how I think the
subject should be talked about.  Two words that come to my mind are subtle
and sublime.

See Hill's Hanssler for a very colorful performance.

Good morning,

Jim