Re: Musical Offering / synesthesia

Elmer wrote:
----- A phrase keeps popping up in my head. I've been reading lately about the self-taught Indian mathematical semimystical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan (1887-1920). His Cambridge colleague Littlewood once remarked that "every positive integer was one of his personal friends." I sense deeply that every component of music which most of us ordinarily think of as technical or mechanical likewise elicited strong personal feelings from and vivid relationships with Gould.

Jim here, nice comment.  And thanks for bringing up the topic of synesthesia .  I've always meant to getting around to reading more about synesthesia, and now it looks like I will.  Has that neurological expert and popular writer Oliver Sacks written about this as well?

If I remember correctly, didn't Ramunujan have a tough time late in life, later that is for a genius mathematician, in his late 20's and thereafter? Or maybe I'm confusing him with that self taught chess grandmaster whose name I certainly can't recall.

Bye

Jim