Fwd: Re: Canadian-spotting: 3 essential facts

Jim Morrison wrote:

> Who were his friends?
But really, I'm uncomfortable talking about Gould's personal life and
the>nature of friendship
Who did Gould listen to?  Who did he sacrifice for? What group,
however>small, but more than one, was he a member of?  Who helped him with
his>hyprochondria?  Who helped him with his drug addication?  Who did HE
help in times of crisis?  Who did HE listen to for hours on the phone with
THEY needed someone to talk to?

What I'm saying is I think Gould, from what I can tell  from my limited
research, was never involved in a significant inter-dependent/supportive
relationship, and that lack of a deep reciprocal commissary relationship is
related to some oddities/problems in his personality.
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I think there's something wrong
with>a pianist that loved to be recorded but for whatever reasons refused
to play>in front of, say, more than 30 people.

Well, it doesnt offend me. Dould's personal life _is_ of interest, if only because his personality so affected his work. I agree that there was something "wrong"....but not in the sense that he was in any way at fault, or that his aloneness was a conscious choice on his part. I think that any "wrongness" in his nature was totally outside his control. In an interview after his death, his cousin Jessie (who possibly was his closest confidante) said that he was the lonliest man she had ever met. However Gould himself, when asked once if he if he ever felt lonely, stated categorically that he did not; he said that he had difficulty understanding what the word meant, or empathising with those who felt loneliness. (I dont have the tape of the interview here with me, but I think he said that if someone told him they were dying of loneliness, he would sympathise, as he would if they said they were dying of leukaemia; but that he didnt really understand the feeling himself.) The point is, asking Glenn Gould if he felt lonely was a bit like asking a fish what it feels like to be wet.What can it possibly compare its sensations with? It has never experienced dryness! Similarly, Gould seems, as you say, never to have experienced closeness to another human being. That, I suppose, is why I have seen writers refer to his life as 'tragic' and 'unhappy'. But I dont think Gould himself would have said this. After all, if you dont _know_ that you are unhappy, then presumably ,in a very real sense, you are not unhappy! Gould was a very private man; we dont have any way of judging how he really felt, if he yearned for a different kind of existence,(including more emotional contact) or if he was truly content with the way he was. Personally, I dont think he ever experienced true joy,(I am not talking about his art here) and as I like the guy, and am eternally grateful for the joy his music brings me, that makes me sad. But if he could read this, he"d no doubt shake his head with puzzlement that I should see him in such a light! I think that to understand Gould, we have to view him using his own standards, which are not necessarily ours. And no, I don't think "Heaven is other people". I'm right there with GG on that one!

Kate