Gould's friend

Good morning Fminor,

To answer one of my own questions, I think Gould listened to and sacrificed
for Bach, and we are lucky enough to have on record some of Gould's
pianisitc thoughts on his life-long engagement with that great composer.

See Charles Rosen's article in "Keyboard Music" edited by Denis Matthews
(published in 1972) for some interesting comments on why Bach is more
meaningful for the performer than for the listener.  Perhaps this had
something to do with Gould's not wanting to give concerts, preferring to
play in his home and at the recording studio.

Jim