Parmentier's Partitas

Hi Fminor,

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm so excited by this recording that I
have to share it with the list, knowing how some of us are on that search to
find keyboardists that remind us in whatever mysterious ways of our hero.

Well I'm here to tell you that Parmentier's performance of the Capriccio of
the Second Partita is one of the most exciting, joyous movements of Bach
playing that I've heard this side of Gould's Prelude to the Second English
Suite.  Very strong rhythm/beat that has you snapping your fingers and
tapping your toes, but the clarity of the playing and the three dimensional
texture of the complex baroque lines quickly stop the tapping and draw your
hand to your chin as you contemplate the sheer intelligence of what you just
heard.  And then the beat catches you again and your back to smiling and
snapping your fingers.

A momentous movement as well, in the sense that we often talk about Gould, a
pushing forward AND building up of tension and complexity and interest in
the music as the movement progresses.  The following Overture from the
Fourth Partita (the third Partita begins the second disc) with it's slow
sweeping lines, makes for a great contrast.

Highly recommended.

Daniel, you have the English Suites.  Is his Prelude to the second suite
anything like Gould's?

The sound is excellent, lacking the piercing quality at the high end of some
recordings, but also not muddled or bizarre sounding in the bass.  Clear,
scintillating, are the words that come to mind.

I think this is a great harpsichord album for people not use to listening to
the instrument, like me.

Jim