Re: GG: Mitch

Dear List:

For a person like myself who isn't Canadian, what on earth is a double-double?

Cheers,

A backward foreigner

Bruce Cross wrote:

> Dear Junichi and List,
>
> It seems to me Glenn Gould had some business with an harmonica when he
> composed
> a few scraps of music for "The Wars", a feature film (and damn you Andy
> Kazdin,
> we do pronounce it "fillum" here).  In the source, which I haven't got time
> find, Gould said he had to enquire as to the range of a harmonica, as he
> didn't
> know.
> Speaking of Kazdin's stupid criticisms of Gould in his vile little stinking
> book, the business of ordering coffee has to be the stupidest.  Kazdin, a
> foreigner, has never heard of a double-double (p.25).  Little does he know
> that
> any of Gould's countrymen could enter any doughnut shop in the Dominion, and
> order a double-double and be completely understood.
> It annoys me when foreigners like TP (and for that matter, PO), who had an
> arms-length relationship with Gould for a short time, present themselves as
> experts on Gould's life.  It has contributed to the "Gould burst on the scene
> in
> 1955" myth, and the "Gould retired from the concert stage suddenly" myth.
>
> Bruce
> (donning flame retardant suit)
>
> Junichi Miyazawa wrote:
>
> > So, do you think "a Sing-along-with-Mitch style descant"(GG)
> > refer directly to the harmonica descants, which you mentions,
> > featured in the "Sing Along with Mitch" program?
> >
> > Was harmonica always accompanied with the chorus?

begin:          vcard
fn:             Daniel Vaiser
n:              Vaiser;Daniel
org:            Dallas Jewish Historical Society
adr:            7826 Meadow Park Dr.;;No. 103;Dallas;Texas;75230;USA
email;internet: vaiser@airmail.net
title:          Archivist
tel;work:       (214) 739-2737, ext. 261
tel;home:       (214)  373-0104
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1