GG: fillum

I can't resist this thread.  Three years of f_minor and this has never
come up!

As I recall Kazdin wasn't the only one who was critical of GG for saying
"fillum" instead of "film" like GG was a backwoods ignoramus putting on
airs.  I couldn't tell you who else mentioned it (unless it was Page.) I
remember hearing GG say "fillum" on a tape and having to rewind it to
figure out what he meant.  Is it a regional pronunciation, typical in TO
or is it typical in Canada in general? Ex: would radio ads for the
Toronto Film Festival be pronounced "film" or "fillum?"

I know this is minutia but I'm interested because I'm wondering to what
extent GG is thought of as quintessentially Canadian because of his
"local" manner and speech. Mary Lause sent me a recent article from
_McLean's_ of the top 100 Canadians (thanks Mary) and of course GG is
voted the number 1 artist. (So there _Time_! How many more years before
he's usurped by Celine Dion?)  Why is GG so important as a _Canadian_
figure?

And yes, what IS a double-double? Is it anything like a
double-decaf-cap?

-MJ