Re: GG: Mitch

Dear Junichi and List,

It seems to me Glenn Gould had some business with an harmonica when he
composed
a few scraps of music for "The Wars", a feature film (and damn you Andy
Kazdin,
we do pronounce it "fillum" here).  In the source, which I haven't got time
find, Gould said he had to enquire as to the range of a harmonica, as he
didn't
know.
Speaking of Kazdin's stupid criticisms of Gould in his vile little stinking
book, the business of ordering coffee has to be the stupidest.  Kazdin, a
foreigner, has never heard of a double-double (p.25).  Little does he know
that
any of Gould's countrymen could enter any doughnut shop in the Dominion, and
order a double-double and be completely understood.
It annoys me when foreigners like TP (and for that matter, PO), who had an
arms-length relationship with Gould for a short time, present themselves as
experts on Gould's life.  It has contributed to the "Gould burst on the scene
in
1955" myth, and the "Gould retired from the concert stage suddenly" myth.

Bruce
(donning flame retardant suit)