GG: Film and Recording Perspectives

Greetings to the Collective!

Hmmmmm...that's an interesting question about relating Gould's
recordings (and techniques) to film counterparts.

GG's use of analog tape editing to create otherwise unachievable
(and instantaneous) style shifts would seem to be most akin to
Eisenstein.  On the other hand, the deep-focus and depth of field
experimentation by Orson Welles would seem to parallel the kind
of multiple mic pair perspective shifting that GG and Kazdin employed
(also experimentally) on a few projects like the Sibelius Sonatine.

It's clear that GG loved the "cinema" (as he called it) and was quite
well-versed in it's history and techniques.  I have no doubt
that he thought about microphone perspectives in these terms.  Many
audio engineers and producers speak of "shooting" an instrument or
ensemble with microphones, so there is some overlap there.  Interesting
food for thought, since DVD and 6-channel discrete surround mixing
are about to revolutionize the way we record and listen to music.

jh