Re: GG: Music and Movies

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Peters/Podlesnik wrote:

> .. I'd like to know if anyone can think of any
> filmmaker's cinematic style whose approach is similar to the music of our
> friend Mr. Gould. (Comparing films to music may in fact be a more
> interesting game, due to the similarity in temporal presentation, rather
> than finding links between painting and music. Perhaps not. I'm still not
> settled on this.) Anyhow, how would one begin to draw comparisons? Would we
> be looking at subject matter? Content? Editing style? Mise en scene?

How about Tim Burton? He did "Edward Scissorhands," didn't he.  And
"Nightmare before Christmas."

The visual clarity in his films is almost surreal. They are brilliantly
crafted.  And they have moments of sadness as well as joy.  IMHO, he is as
innovative a filmmaker as Gould was a pianist.

Or, were you talking about Gould's compositions.  Now, that's another film
altogether.

Cyndie...