GG: Music and Movies

Hi:

Last year about this time, I asked members to think of painter's works that
bear similarities to GG's recordings. Well, in keeping with my annual
contribution to the list, I'd like to know if anyone can think of any
filmmaker's cinematic style whose approach is similar to the music of our
friend Mr. Gould. (Comparing films to music may in fact be a more
interesting game, due to the similarity in temporal presentation, rather
than finding links between painting and music. Perhaps not. I'm still not
settled on this.) Anyhow, how would one begin to draw comparisons? Would we
be looking at subject matter? Content? Editing style? Mise en scene?

I'm still trying to find filmmakers of comparison, myself. Do we look to
director George Roy Hill for his 'Slaughterhouse-Five'? Or to director
Robin Phillips, maker of the Canadian film 'The Wars'? What about the many
films Monsaingeon made in consort with GG? Are there other films out there,
among the thousands, that share aspects of GG's recordings? Open ended
question, I know.

Regards,

Joseph Podlesnik

The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is
comprehensible.

        --- Einstein