GG: Eccentricities?

For Joakim, and anyone else.

I have my own theory about GG's "eccentricities."  Perhaps you may be
able to find some evidence for your paper about him.

Most of Gould's unusual mannerisms seemed to come from a form of
hypersensitivity.  He was unusually sensitive to cold; therefore, he
would wear a scarf and gloves even in the warm summer months.  His
favorite color was gray.

He even told the story about he first time he saw "Fantasia" and
became physically ill because of all the color.

He required various sources of "white noise" such as two radios and a
television in order to help him concentrate on the "feeling" of a
piece because he became too overly concerned with the sound.  (The
story of the Mozart piece, the maid, and the vacuum cleaner is a good
example.)

He ate only bland foods, particulary eggs and lettuce, as well as
snacked on Arrowroot cookies.

And finally, he chose his instruments according to the action of the
keyboard.  And he abandoned CD 318 when it had been dropped, and the
action in one part of the keyboard was no longer performing to his
satisfaction.

As you see, each of his senses seemed to be hyperactive (a bad choice
of word, but it is meant the the utmost respect).

Perhaps this will give another perspective.

Lori Lalonde