Re: GG Plays Sibelius

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, PHILIP.GARON wrote:

>              "And Glenn Gould's album of the otherwise unremarkable
>           Sonatinas for piano has a fascinayting quirk that should
>           make it irrestible to anybody interested in Gould and his
>           philosophy.  He recorded the music with severeal microphones
>           to capture the same performance from different vantage
>           points and then used the tapes in the same way a movie
>           director might coordinate a roomful of cameras.  And so one
>           phrase might be in 'close-up' -- recorded only a few inches
>           from the sounding-board of the piano -- and the next phrase
>           might be far away, a 'long shot,' with the piano in the
>           sonorous distance.  Whatever else this recording may be,
>           it's unique; Gould never tried this experiment again."
>
>           I had never heard about this recording being done by GG in
>           this manner, and was wondering if any of the list-members
>           who are familiar with it might comment.  Also, is it
>           available on CD?

Yes, the Sibelius recordings are in one of the Glenn Gould Legacy boxes of
a few years ago.  Gould used this technique with one of the Scriabin
sonatas, also (similarly available in a Legacy box).

Bradley Lehman, bpl@umich.edu       http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/
Submaster of the half-witticism, but only every other once in a while