GG Plays Sibelius

          This Sunday's (Sep. 29, 1996) Washington Post contains a
          lengthy essay by Post music critic (and GG expert) Tim Page
          on Sibelius, including Page's recommendations for recordings
          of the symphonies, etc.  (I haven't been able to check yet,
          but suspect that the entire article -- which is quite
          interesting -- will be posted on the Post's Web site.)

          I thought that the following excerpt would pique the
          interest of our list-members:

             "And Glenn Gould's album of the otherwise unremarkable
          Sonatinas for piano has a fascinayting quirk that should
          make it irrestible to anybody interested in Gould and his
          philosophy.  He recorded the music with severeal microphones
          to capture the same performance from different vantage
          points and then used the tapes in the same way a movie
          director might coordinate a roomful of cameras.  And so one
          phrase might be in 'close-up' -- recorded only a few inches
          from the sounding-board of the piano -- and the next phrase
          might be far away, a 'long shot,' with the piano in the
          sonorous distance.  Whatever else this recording may be,
          it's unique; Gould never tried this experiment again."

          I had never heard about this recording being done by GG in
          this manner, and was wondering if any of the list-members
          who are familiar with it might comment.  Also, is it
          available on CD?

          Regards,

          Phil Garon