Decline of interest in classical music

In most schools in the U.S. classes in "Music Appreciation" are no longer
offered. The cut-back is justified by a combination of reasons: 1) the
need to focus on technology, 2) a lack of funds for a subject not
perceived as having  "practical" value, 3) relegate exposure to classical
music as the responsibility of the parents (!).
Needless to say, most parents' tastes do not lean to classical music, in
any measureable percentage. The child's tastes are being molded by the
constant presence of anything but "classical music," via all the media.
Unless one has exposure to great music at an early age there is a very
slim liklihood that such taste will evolve. I know, personally of one
exception, but it occurred years before the media blitz of trash (pardon
me if I define _music_ as an art form, not to be confused with any
combination of sounds that passes as same). A man I met at a piano store
where I was shopping for an instrument, who made his living as a house
painter and was also testing various pianos. He was playing rather credible
Chopin, still attired in his painter's coveralls. I was so astonished
that I had to question him. He said he never heard classical music until
he was well into his thirties, and once he listened he became hooked,
even to the preposterous aspiration of learning the play the piano. I
told him how much I admired his achievement. Alas, I'm sure his story is an
anomaly.