[f_minor] Bravo Fortissimo Howler

Houpt, Fred fred.houpt at rbc.com
Tue Jun 29 16:13:57 EDT 2010

What a funny thing for Gould to say.  I was recently listening to his
infamous Brahms Piano Concerto with Bernstein and the NY Phil....this is
on You Tube (bless them for all the goodies uploaded)....and you know I
found myself not finding the interpretation of the first movement as
outrageous and as "teetering" on the edge of sanity as many felt when
they first heard it. The thing with Gould's extreme interpretations is
that he is almost shouting at us like a Zen Roshi to wake up and listen
to a very familiar piece in a totally fresh and unique way.  Gould used
extremism to make those points, much to many people's dismay.  I don't
know...as I age I am not as put off by the exaggerated mannerisms....and
I am more apt to try to grasp what his enormously fertile intellect is
endeavoring to uncover, even if by grossly overt means.

Finally for now, I also put on GG on Y.T. playing a few extracts of the
Art of the Fugue by Bach and you see that this was late in his
career....and what fascinated me more than the actual playing which was
ethereal, was the (again) extreme hand gestures as he conducts one hand
over the other which was playing.  It seems on the surface level to be a
bit teetering towards spasmodic almost epileptic body motions but then
he just as quickly subsides when adding the second hand, not losing one
single watt of energetic motion.  It's mesmerizing to watch as it is so
calming to listen to.......

I'll be taking a powder from the office soon....

Cheers from bombed out downtown Toronto (don't even ask what last week
was like)

Fred Houpt