Re: GG's comments on Toronto

Alô!,

	This is my first post to this wonderfull list!

	In the booklet of "Images" (a double-cd compilation of several Gould
recordings released by Sony France), you can find a text wrote by Glenn
Gould about Toronto. Perhaps is what you're looking for, or at least part
of it.

	Best regards,

	Luiz Gonçalo Prado

P.S.: Sorry for terrible English...

	"In my youth, Toronto (wich was nicknamed "Toronto the Good") was also
called 'the City of Churches', and indeed, the most vivid of my childhood
memories in connection with Toronto have to do with churches. They have to
do with Sunday-evening services, with evening light filtered through
stained-glass windows, and with ministers who concluded their benediction
with the phrase 'Lord, give us the peace that earth cannot give.' Monday
morning, you see, meant that one had to go back to school and encounter all
sorts of terrifying situations out there in the city.
	"What I've done, I think, while living here, is to concoct some sort of
metaphoric stained-glass window, wich allows me to survive what appear to
me to be the perils of the city - much as I survived Monday mornings in the
schoolroom. And the best thing I can say about Toronto is that it doesn't
seem to intrude upon this hermitilike process.
	"It's been fascinating to get to know Toronto after all these years, but
not even this filmic exploration of it has made me a city convert, I'm
afraid. I am more than ever convinced, though, that, like Leningrad,
Toronto is
essentially a truly peaceful city.
	"But perhaps I see it through rose-coloured glasses; perhaps what I see is
still so controlled by my memory that it's nothing more than a mirage. I
hope not, though, because if that mirage were ever to evaporate, I should
have no alternative but leave town."

			Adapted by Gould from his filmscript for a late-1970's documentary.
			Originally published in Cities, edited by John McGreevy (New York:
			Clarkson N. Potter, 1981)