Re: Klavierstuke GG

At 09:38 AM 2/23/99 -0500, Bruce Cross <bcross@lara.on.ca> wrote:
>Sony SK 47 184, "Glenn Gould The Composer" contains Two Pieces for Piano
and two
>movements of an unfinished piano sonata.  Emile Naoumoff, piano.
>
>> > Does anyone know if anyone has recorded GG's 5 Short Pieces(1951) and 2
>> > Pieces(1951/52).  GG played them at a concert  at the Royal Conservatory
>> > in 1951 according to the Preface to the music.These are wonderful
>> > miniatures.  I recommend them to all pianists.  The 7 pieces are in
>> > different styles and are excellent studies in 20th century music.  They
>> > are fun to play. If you have a recording, please let me know.

Have the two movements of this sonata (unknown to me) been published?  I
recently acquired the Klavierstuecke.  I am working on a piano solo program
exploring Glenn Gould's musical tastes and personality and would like to
include an example of his composition, but didn't realize this sonata
existed.  Is it also, like the piano pieces, from his youth?

Emile Naoumoff's a friend of mine from my own student days when he was a
child prodigy at Fontainebleau, France (Nadia Boulanger-land) - he must have
been 16 or 17 - but was already promoted to being a teacher there.  He's a
wild man with a very animated personality, spoke five languages (frequently
a couple per sentence) and was a table tennis wizard.  Haven't heard him
play piano in a long time, but he was a superb and exciting teacher.

Michael